Sunday, March 30, 2008

The sun’s gone down, so work has now stopped, and although the primitive oil lamp I’m allowed to use doesn’t give fantastic light, I can see enough to type.

I’ve settled here among a community of farmers. Actually that’s not the right word – if in your mind it sets up an image of tractors and combines. This is a primitive agricultural community – almost subsistence living. Still, it’s labour-intensive, which means I was able to offer my services in exchange for bread and a bed.

The village has pigs, chickens and a few cattle – but the livestock is like nothing I’m used to. The cows have huge, curved horns, and are about 50% taller than any cow I’ve ever seen – they really are quite threatening. The pigs, on the other hand, are much smaller, scruffier and hairier than pigs from ‘my’ world.

I’ll write more about the community here, but the light really is getting bad, and it’s too much of a strain to write further today.

No comments: