Monday, July 30, 2007

I must admit that survival has been my prime consideration over the last few weeks, rather than writing here. That isn’t the only reason I haven’t put anything here recently though; my wristpad has been playing-up.

As I said last time, the battery seems to have been completely discharged when I was in prison. There's enough light here to charge it, via the solar panel, but only if I take the pad off – otherwise I’m wearing so many layers of clothing, that light can’t penetrate to it.

The problem then seems to be that it’s so cold here that the battery won’t hold a charge. If I put the wristpad on, then my body heat warms it – but then, of course, it’s back under layers of clothing.

I’m managing to use it now only because I’ve got a very hot fire burning, and I’m sitting next to the window, which seems to be giving enough light.

Anyway, I'm here now, so time for an update. I got into the city, and eventually found myself in the area of Mercury House. I broke into a Salvation Army hall opposite, and found a large store of blankets and warm clothing – even some sleeping bags - together with some tinned food, so I had enough to survive on, while I scavenged the city, looking for more.

Eventually I found a small supermarket, which was almost fully stocked (most other shops appear to have been completely emptied). I now have enough dried and tinned foods to see me through several months, if I have to. I’ve been breaking up the wooden seats in the hall here, and have quite a stack of firewood. All in all, I’m OK.

Having had a number of nasty falls on icy pavements, I’m inclined to stay put here, until the next sending.

I don’t think anyone is going to come to rescue me. I’ve found enough odd newspapers, circulars and government leaflets, to work out what’s happened here. This version of Britain is in the grip of an ice-age. The most recent report I could find spoke of glaciers having reached the north coast of Norfolk. The bulk of the population appears to have been evacuated to Africa. I gather, reading between the lines, that cool, damp weather has improved the climate of the desert areas of North Africa, and they are able to sustain larger populations.

The battery seems to be fading, so I’m going to post this now, before I lose my contact.

No comments: