Wednesday, July 04, 2007

I was arrested in the park, and charged with vagrancy. I got four weeks hard labour – and my wristpad was, of course, confiscated again.

When I was let out, I found my wristpad wouldn’t work. I’m guessing it was kept in a dark cupboard somewhere, the battery ran down, and of course the solar panels couldn’t charge it up. That’s still a bit worrying – it should hold a charge longer than that. Maybe all my travels have affected it in some way, although it’s military specification and it should be able to stand up to some hard knocks.

Anyway, it’s back up and working again now. In fact, I noticed that I’d got power a couple of days ago, but I haven’t been able to write anything since then, because survival has been my first priority.

I’ve been sent again, but for some time I wasn’t sure that I was still in Norfolk – because this version of Earth appears to be in the middle of winter, even though my wristpad tells me it’s July now.

It’s bitterly cold, there are several feet of snow packed on the ground, and every surface is covered in ice. There’s no sign of green anywhere; even trees are ice-blocks.

The terrain, what I could see of it through the snow, seemed familiar, though, and I managed to make my way to where Norwich should be. I found it – but it seems to be completely deserted.

I started breaking into houses, eventually, just trying to find some shelter – and food. There’s no power anywhere – neither gas or electricity – but I did manage to find some tinned food, and some matches. I’ve been breaking-up furniture for kindling, and have managed to build myself a fire.

I’m wearing several layers of clothing that I’ve found (most houses seem to have been emptied, almost as if the inhabitants had moved out – but some just seem to have been abandoned, with most of their contents) and I think my priority, tomorrow, is to move into the city itself, and see if I can find some better survival gear – and also find out what’s going on here.

No comments: