Saturday, March 10, 2007

I called in to see the professor yesterday afternoon, as I hadn’t heard from her for a couple of days. It is amazing how having someone that I can talk to about what’s happened – and this is the first time I’ve been in this position for the last two years – has really made a difference to my mental attitude. Despite the shock of the interview, this last week has seen me feeling so much more positive, even though home still seems a long, long way away.

However things took a bit of a downturn yesterday. The professor was very off-hand with me at first, before eventually telling me that she too has had a visit from some government agents, who have planted a seed of doubt in her mind.

She says that of course she doubted my story at first, but she was intrigued by it, and saw enough of her particular field of interest in what I was telling her to make it worth her while investigating further.

Now she’s not so sure – in fact she virtually accused me of making everything up. The tests that she had carried out on me showed that I didn’t come from round here – but that doesn’t necessarily mean I am from another version of Earth; I could just be a foreigner.

The device that she found embedded in me is also worrying her. She doesn’t think I’m a walking bomb (for a start, there is no sign of any explosives), but she says I might be a trigger for one, if I am an enemy agent. Similarly the device could enable me to transmit or receive information.

When I quite forcibly expressed my innocence, she said that another thought that had occurred is that the device might be a way of sending a message to my brain to activate a hidden command – in other words I could be some kind of sleeper agent, who has been given a false identity – so false that even I believe it, this fake ID having somehow having been implanted in my brain.

Quite why I would have been given the memories of my strange journey, rather than just believing I am a normal citizen, she couldn’t explain – other than to say that tinkering with the mind is a difficult task, and perhaps it had all gone wrong.

I really don’t know what to say. I have to believe my own mind – and the physical things I’ve been through and experienced (or should I say, that I think I have experienced?). Surely this whole nightmare isn’t just a false memory, given to me by my own government?

I do know I was part of an experiment, that’s true. Has my brain been messed with, causing me to have delusions?

I can’t believe it. How I convince Professor Ilyes to believe me, I’m not sure, but without her on my side, I believe things here might become really desperate – particularly if the government decides to act against me.

No comments: