Monday, March 05, 2007

Travel has not been easy, mainly because of the high price of fuel. Before I set off on my journey I went to the library to do a bit more research, and I found that this Britain doesn’t seem to have discovered North Sea oil. Assuming it’s only social history that has changed on this world, and not geology, then if I only had the money to set up a drilling company, I could make my fortune here – unfortunately, it would take a fortune in the first place, and many years, which I probably don’t have. And then, in this Britain, I might not be allowed to do it anyway. Every major industry seems to be nationalised: gas, electric, telecommunications, the railway system – even the few filling stations that there are all seem to be BP, which appears to be state owned.

I couldn’t afford to hire a car, and bus travel is very expensive, but the railways seem economical – at least British Rail is offering a way of getting around the country. The coaches were old and a bit tatty, but the engines are electric (nuclear power seems plentiful and cheap here). I bought a rover ticket, giving me access to the entire rail network for a week, for just £20, and set off to explore Britain – well, bits of England actually.

I was surprised that the air didn’t seem clean and fresh, given the small number of motor vehicles, and electric trains, but as I travelled around I saw a lot of heavy industry; the midlands particularly are very heavily-polluted, with factories belching out thick smoke.

I have much more to say about the state of the country, but I’ve arranged to meet the professor in fifteen minutes (when I got back there was a message from her at my digs, asking me to be at Kiln House at 10.30 this morning) so I’ll have to stop for now.

No comments: