Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Well, I seem to have my strength back now – mainly due to the fitness regime William and Sarah have imposed on me. From Sarah’s part that has consisted of plenty of home-cooked food, with lots of vegetables. On William’s side, he has ensured that I have had plenty of exercise, helping him on his smallholding.

He’s kept me busy each day – and given all that they have done for me, it seems only fair that I offer them my labour. In fact, if they’ll let me, I hope I can stay here for a while, offering work for rent.

The only thing that really grates is their religiosity. I suppose I shouldn’t complain about it – after all, it probably lies behind their taking me in and caring for me, but I did find at first their expectation that I would be joining them for prayers first thing every morning, than again at lunchtime and in the evening was a bit much.

Once I started working outside, I realised that their prayer times were being governed by the ringing of the church bells. If their prayers hadn’t seemed so familiar, and Christian, I might have begun to wonder if this version of Britain wasn’t somehow a Muslim state. It certainly seems, from what I can gather from William and Sarah, and the neighbours that I have met, that regular prayer at set times throughout the day seems to be the pattern of life around here. Perhaps I’ve fallen into some kind of religious community – certainly these folks aren’t monks and nuns as I have experienced them in my world, but maybe this is some kind of variation of that.

I’ll see if I can get a day off soon, and go into Norwich, to see what life’s like there. There is certainly much that I would like to know more about. I haven’t seen a single book – other than the Bible – or any electrical devices more complicated than a light. Reflecting on that, I wonder if this might be a Shaker society, such as the one I visited in America a few years ago. On the other hand, there are plenty of motor cars flowing by freely outside, and I’m sure I’ve seen one in William’s garage.

No comments: