Friday, April 20, 2007

Clearly, I’ve survived. Only, though, because I was sent again. I arrived on this version of Earth a few days ago, but I was so weak, it's taken me until now to get up enough strength to type again. I think I must have been very close to death when William found me and took me into his home, but I can’t really remember much about what happened then.

I certainly fell on my feet (metaphorically - I was in fact flat on my back) when I was found by William. He and Sarah his wife have cared for me as if I were their own. A few days rest, and some simple home-made food, and now I feel a lot better.

I can't tell you much about this world, as I haven't been allowed to get up yet, so I haven’t seen much outside this room in their cottage. It seems pretty basic - they have electricity, but no television or radio (or none that I have seen or heard) and not many other appliances either - in fact if it wasn't for the lights, I’m not sure I would have known they even had electricity.

The house is very simply furnished, but clean, and neat. My hosts too are simply dressed - mainly in black, although Sarah's dresses (I assume she has more than one, although they all do look very similar - long, and not particularly tailored) do have white cuffs and collars. Their accent is broad Norfolk, but having been born and brought up in the county, I have no trouble understanding them, although my accent causes some difficulties to them (university – and probably television too – has knocked out a lot of my Norfolk vowels).

At first sight, I must say, I could have believed this was my world. Things seem pretty normal. There is the sound of traffic in the road outside (real motor cars, by the noise – certainly not horse and carts, which is what William and Sarah’s slightly simpler life-style might have led me to expect).

However, I'm pretty sure this isn't the Earth I came from. The smell is wrong, somehow. It’s not dirty – indeed my room is spotless, and there’s always a bunch of flowers in the vase on the table. As I’m lying here with nothing better to do, I’ve let my nose investigate. I can smell (apart from the flowers) wax polish, coal smoke, soap, cooking smells. Simply, homely things. Nothing artificial, though. Now I think about it, the air outside (what I can remember of it as William helped me here) also seemed too clean - no pollution smells. That's a bit odd, I must say, because I know I can hear cars on the road outside.

Looking around my room, the sheets are cotton, the bedspread’s a woollen blanket. The floors are polished boards. The furniture is all wooden. There’s not a single thing that I can see that’s made of plastic.

Anyway, Sarah says that she thinks I’m strong enough to get up tomorrow, so perhaps I’ll be able to get a better picture then.

No comments: