Monday, February 19, 2007

Well, I did go to the café, and I have to report that my little plan has been more successful than I could realistically have hoped.

When I arrived, Julie was already there, with a half-drunk cup of coffee in front of her. To be fair to her, the first thing she did was to apologise for the television coverage. She says she believed me, but she had no say in the editing of the story. She’d arranged for a friend to meet us – Linda (I didn’t catch her surname) who is a scientist at the University of Norwich.

I don’t remember much about what was said – I feel really hampered by the loss of my wristpad. Normally I would have recorded our conversation, and could then play it back and transcribe it. Having to remember everything that people say to me is hard – particularly when they are a pretty young blonde, and a not-unattractive redhead.

If I can’t recall our conversation in detail, perhaps I can describe the people.

Julie, as I say, is blonde; I’d guess early thirties. I’m 6’2”; she’s definitely shorter than me, but as we were sitting down most of the time, it is difficult to judge. She looked vaguely French, in a grey felt jacket and a black crocheted beret-type hat.

Linda looked about a foot shorter than me as she came in; as I say, a red-head, wearing a completely black outfit, the details of which escape me for now. I’d guess mid-forties; middle-aged, definitely.

I’m really not very good at observation, it appears.

So, what can I recall from our conversation? Well, Linda was, quite naturally, sceptical about my story. Fortunately she hadn’t seen the television clip, so at least she came with an open mind. She had to go after about twenty minutes, but was interested enough to ask me to visit her at her laboratory. She says there are some tests she’d like to carry out. She’s in the Physics Department building, which is in Kiln House, somewhere in the Pottergate area. I’m seeing her tomorrow at 10.30.

Julie left at the same time, and I rather suspect I’ll not see her again – but anyway, my objective has been achieved: I have met a scientist, who hasn’t instantly assumed that I am mad. Perhaps – no, I don’t want to build my hopes up too much, but it would be good to feel that, just possibly, this may be a start to helping me find my way home.

No comments: