Monday, February 26, 2007

I had a good and fruitful discussion with Professor Ilyes on Saturday. If I am able to stay in this world for long enough, I have high hopes that she will be able to at least explain what has gone on, if not solve the problem, and get me home.

Of course, staying in this world isn’t under my control. On that score the professor seems to agree with me. Every time I have been sent it has happened at night, which is when the Project Hermes team always carried out their sendings.

This can’t be a natural phenomenon – or else why isn’t it happening to other people too? If it were some kind of wormhole, or breach in the space-time continuum (whatever that means) surely others would be falling in to it too.

No, surely I am in some way still linked to the Hermes transmitter. They must still be experimenting (or who knows, perhaps back on my Earth, they have satisfactorily completed all the experiments, and the system is now being used operationally). I know that they had previously sent inanimate objects, and then laboratory animals, entirely successfully. I sometimes forget that there were three of us in the first human test team, Kate, Tom and me – has the same thing happened to them too?

My guess is that every time they now send something – or someone – I get sent too. Or perhaps they know that I am attached to the system, and they are actually deliberately sending me (in which case I hope they are doing it in an effort to bring me home). Whatever happens, surely they must be causing the sendings to take place.

Of course, I don’t know anything about the science of this, so I couldn’t tell Professor Ilyes anything about that, but I could tell her about my experience of sending.

What seems to happen is that an area of space about two or three inches around my body physically moves when I go. That means whatever I’m wearing comes with me, as well, usually, as a slice of my bed and bedding. Fortunately this military uniform is designed to take hard wear, and to dry quickly, so I’ve been washing things in the early evening, when I can, and putting them back on before I go to bed – it’s not the most comfortable way to sleep, but at least I’ve still got most of my kit (other than my wristpad, knife and a few other odds and ends that were confiscated when I was imprisoned).

The times that I have been awake and experienced it (usually it happens while I’m asleep) it’s been instantaneous. No noise, no sensation of heat, light, falling or moving. I’m just in one place one minute, and somewhere else the next.

The professor agreed with me that time travel is out of the question. Since my first sending (and this log bears this out, as fortunately I’d set it up to record the date of each entry) time has been moving forwards in a linear fashion, and keeping pace with what I have been experiencing, as far as I can tell.

The one thing that I can’t understand is that first move. On my Earth, it was 2008 when the sending took place. So why did I arrive in a version of Earth where it was 2005?

So (ignoring that first sending, which I just can’t explain) if I haven’t moved through time, what am I moving through – is it space, or another dimension, to a series of almost parallel Earths? I’m sure that these Earths are linked. It’s not just the similarity of buildings and places (I know they aren’t identical - there are some physical differences, as well as the technological and social changes that I have seen in the different versions of Earth I’ve visited so far) but things like Kiln House and Mercury House being the same building, with similar functions.

Then there is this internet site that I set up on the first Earth I visited. How have I been able to connect with it on every version of Earth that has invented the internet? And on more primitive Earths, how was it that I was still able to write things here with my wristpad? Are all these Earths linked by the internet? Is it more than a world-wide web – does it in fact cross into other dimensions?

Or am I, in some way, something like a radio mast, able to communicate across the dimensions (or whatever it is that separates these different earths)? Is that why the Hermes transmitter is able to reach me still, wherever I am?

I have lots of questions. So too, naturally, does Professor Ilyes. I hope she can find some answers.

She says she hasn’t got time to see me this week, so she’s given me some more credits and told me to explore the country. It will be good to take a holiday, knowing that someone else is worrying about my problems for me. I’m going to see her again in a week or so. I do hope she will have made some progress.

In case I get sent again before I next see her, she has this website address, and so can at least keep up with my progress. Oh, and if you do read this, Professor Ilyes, I’ve just looked back through what I wrote last week, and I see I described you as a ‘not-unattractive redhead’. Talk about damning with faint praise! I’m not going to say any more, though, as I may just end up digging a deeper hole for myself.

No comments: