Wednesday, April 04, 2007

As I said last time, I have enjoyed having a wristpad to use in the evenings, because I can search the internet for more ideas about what might be happening to me. Not, this time, looking into the meaning of the title Project Hermes – after all, they may have been quite innocently just thinking about the messenger of the gods function of his life – but into the physics of what I’ve been experiencing.

Unfortunately, as I’m not a scientist, most of the stuff goes over my head, and I find it hard to differentiate between crackpot theories and real physics, but a couple of things I have seen are helping me make a bit of sense of things, just at the moment.

First was an article which spoke about a ‘multi-worlds conundrum’ which said, if I understood it correctly, that at some point, a decision may be made which has two possible outcomes – and that both happen, a second (or third, or however many possible outcomes there may be) world being created so that all the possibilities can occur.

That is my understanding of the theory. What the scientist actually wrote was ‘two worlds appear for every one, each and every time there is a quantum mechanical event as a matrix of values collapses into its eigenvector’.

I don’t understand half those words, but my simple explanation at least helps me to understand why there are so many similar, but slightly different, worlds which I am visiting.

The second article didn’t explain how or why the worlds are created, but did at least suggest that this physicist believed they existed. Apparently the universe doesn’t have enough matter in it, or enough mass, or something (as I say, I’m no scientist, so I expect I’m completely garbling this). To get around this, scientists have invented something they call ‘dark matter’ – something which you can’t see, because it’s dark, and which no-one has been able to detect, but which makes up the ‘missing’ mass of the universe.

Well, if the universe is in fact bigger because of these multiple worlds that I have been visiting (and who knows, perhaps it’s not just a different Earth I visit, but a completely different solar system, galaxy or even universe) then there is plenty of mass to meet any theories of how big the universe should be, and no need, so this physicist said, to invent ‘dark matter’.

Perhaps this all makes sense to a scientist. As for me, well I’ve always believed the universe is infinite (because if it’s not, and it’s got a boundary, well, what’s on the other side of the wall?). What I can say, with absolute certainty, is that – unless what I’ve been experiencing for the last two years is all a dream – I know for a fact that there is more than one Earth, whatever any theoretical physicist may say.

No comments: