Sunday, April 08, 2007

Two says ago I was sent again. Tom didn’t come with me – I rather hoped he would; I suppose I thought the aerial (or whatever) was a collection device, and I’d be picking up the rest of the team and bringing them with me.

So, just me on my own, but I still have Tom’s wristpad. Actually, as he can’t use it to access the internet, and the sat nav doesn’t work, all he could use it for would be to write messages, or use some of the ancillary features like the camera, compass, clock and firelighter. I think all those things are more likely to be useful to me than to him, so I don’t feel guilty for still having it.

If I didn’t, I certainly wouldn’t be able to write this, for so far I have found no signs of human beings, far less a computer. This version of Earth is, frankly, a bit creepy. It’s so quiet. No birdsong – and no signs of birds. Or animals. Or insects. No sign of anything alive, in fact.

Oh, apart from the vegetation of course. There’s plenty of that. Very green and lush – but plants that don’t look right to me. I haven’t come across one familiar tree, or shrub – or even a flower that I recognise.

If you forced me to say, I would guess that I was in a tropical jungle – except it’s not that hot, or humid. The sun does seem brighter than it should be, though, and the light is more yellow, somehow.

My concern at the moment is food. I’ve had nothing to eat for two days, and can’t see anything I recognise as safe to eat. Water isn’t a problem – there are plenty of streams – but with no birds or animals to hunt and only these unfamiliar plants, I really don’t know what’s poisonous and what's not. One thing a wristpad doesn’t have is a toxicity meter.

I found a tree a couple of hours ago bearing fruit that looked a bit like pears – except they were almost lemon-yellow. I cut one open – the inside was hard, like an apple, but again very yellow. Eventually my hunger made me risk it, and I ate half the fruit. It was sweet, but with a slightly bitter aftertaste – I needed to drink lots of water to rid myself of the acidity.

If it doesn’t cause me any stomach upsets, I’ll try a few more tomorrow. I’ve got to eat something, after all – I have no idea how long I’m going to be here, and there’s no point startving myself to death.

Odd. The starts have started to appear, although it’s only the middle of the afternoon. Well, not all the tsars, just two. I guess one must be venus; the other is about the same hight in the sky.

I’m feeling little dizzy. I’ve had to sit down.

I’m laying on my back now, my left arm up in the air so that I can type into the ristpad, juist over it I can see the two starts – only they’re getting bigger, and they seem to have black dots in the middle off them.

My arms are growing, the wristpa d is getting furthera way and its hard to make it owyut.

Was the sky always red i thought it used to be blue or was it green im not sure its hard to remember and the ground is palpa paalpat movng up and i think its alive the eyes in the sky are wtching me i think the worlds going to kiss me my hands are shrinking now i cannn dgdh jkkk n

No comments: